|Location||Huntsville,AL*||*Position is based out of Huntsville, AL|
|Reports to||Don Webster|
|Shifts hiring||Part-time, Full-time, Night Shift, Weekends, Per Diem|
Reports to: Operations Supervisor
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
This position administers life support care to sick and injured persons in pre-hospital setting, in accordance with statewide Treatment Protocols and HEMSI Medical Control Physicians, as authorized and directed by physician and/or paramedic.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
(Other duties may be assigned)
- Assesses nature and extent of illness or injury to establish and prioritize medical procedures to be followed, or need for additional assistance.
- Restores and stabilizes heart rhythm on pulseless, non-breathing patient.
- Monitors cardiac patient.
- Administers initial treatment at emergency scene and takes and records patient's vital signs.
- Assists in extricating trapped victims and transports sick and injured persons to treatment center.
- Observes, records, and reports to physician patient's condition and reaction to treatments, and significant incidents.
- Drives ambulance to and from scene.
- Communicates with hospital, physician, and other medical personnel in person and by radio or telephone.
- Keeps current on treatment techniques, protocol changes, and application of new material, and equipment.
- Prepares required reports and maintains records of activities.
- Requisitions and restocks supplies, material, and equipment.
- Cleans and performs minor maintenance to assigned emergency vehicle and maintains a clean and orderly station.
- Responsible for direction and coordination of additional personnel on scene, including volunteer responders.
Behavioral Core Competencies:
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies on a daily basis. These factors will be used to measure an employee’s performance throughout the work day.
1) Demonstrates proper attendance and punctuality requirement
2) Time management and prioritizing – uses time efficiently with existing resources
3) Dependability/Reliability - completes tasks on time and accepts responsibility for the best of the organization
4) Maintains standards for safety and security procedures
5) Upholds and implements HEMSI policy and procedures of employment
6) Pursues training and development opportunities; strives to build knowledge and skills in order to share with the organization.
1) Strong oral communication skills - to comfort and explain procedures to the patient and family members, give orders, and relay information to others
2) Exhibits effective written communication in patient documentation
3) Demonstrates team work with co-workers and supports organizational success
4) Displays confidence in self and others
5) Provides excellent customer service
6) Exhibits strong interpersonal skill and compassion to offer emotional support in patient care
7) Maintains highest standards of professionalism
8) Maintains HIPPA guidelines and HEMSI privacy policies concerning confidentiality in dealing with patients, patient family members, and others within the community
1) Problem solving – discovers, analyzes, and solves problems to overcome obstacles
2) Initiative – identifies opportunities and issues, and proactively acts to follow through on work activities to capitalize or resolve them
3) Innovative – generates unique ideas for improving work
4) Listening – accurately receives information and reciprocates effectively to party received from
5) Navigation skills – ability to reach desired destinations and minimize incidents of getting lost in routes
6) Exhibits adaptability – can change in demanding work environment when unexpected events happen for the best environmental fit
7) Decision making skills – can make accurate judgments and can weigh significant risks in making critical decisions
8) Demonstrates attention to detail in patient care reporting
1) Assesses patient’s condition and assists Paramedic in determining a course of treatment
Hard Skill Requirements:
1) Mathematical Skills - Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals
2) Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
- State of Alabama EMSP License as EMT
- Healthcare Provider CPR Certification
- EVOC – once employed/promoted must obtain and maintain
- Valid and current driver’s license
3) Education and/or Experience – High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and required undergraduate EMT certificate
Soft Skill Requirements:
1) Language Skills - Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
2) Writing Skills - Ability to legibly write routine reports and correspondence.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
This position requires significant physical strength and dexterity and the ability to function in very adverse environments with exposure to numerous safety risks typically found at emergency scenes, which could include extreme weather conditions, moving mechanical parts and high, precarious places.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move a minimum of 120 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
At times, may be required to work unscheduled overtime due to unpredictable occurrences including significant weather events.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.