|Job Title||Communication Specialist I*|
|Location||Huntsville,AL*||*Position is based out of Huntsville, AL|
|Shifts hiring||Part-time, Full-time, Night Shift, Weekends|
Reports to: Communications Supervisor
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Prepared By: Human Resources
This position performs dispatch and/or call taking of emergency and non-emergency medical assistance.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
(Other duties may be assigned)
- Dispatches emergency calls to closest appropriate unit utilizing the CAD tools to access system status.
- Monitor various radio frequencies to keep apprised of developing situations.
- Operates two-way radio and/or other communications equipment to copy calls to other public safety agencies and medical first responders.
- Read and effectively interpret maps and information from a computer screen in order to determine locations and provide directions.
- Enters, updates, and retrieves detailed information from a variety of computer systems.
- Relay information and messages to and from emergency sites, to all other individuals or groups requiring notification.
- Scan computer screens, and contact field units in order to determine units available for dispatch.
- Knowledge of and ability to operate computer based telephone system.
- Demonstrates faithfulness in work attendance and punctuality
- Exhibits sufficient multi-tasking to accomplish required time management of all activities
- Works diligently to provide excellent customer service by being calm, polite, and sympathetic.
- Education - Education: High School diploma or equivalent
- Typing Skills - Must have the ability to type a minimum of 35 words per minute.
- Pre-employment Testing – CritiCall (Computerized Critical Skills) testing with a minimum of 80% score.
- Has successfully completed EMD certification in call taking and/or dispatching of medical emergency calls.
- Auditory Skills - ability to hear, comprehend, and distinguish sounds and verbal communication in the presence of other distracting sounds via a headset, telephone, or other external source.
- Listening Skills – ability to retain detailed information
- Vision Skills – must have adequate vision to quickly and accurately read maps, safety manuals, and all computer system monitors. Specific vision abilities required by this job include color vision, close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Language Skills - Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The frequently required to sit, talk and hear, use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit for extended times.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee works indoors and the noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.